Thursday, March 5, 2009

Why another blog and why this one?

This is my third blog. The first one I stayed with for a while and it's still out there. The second never really got off the ground because I wasn't as committed to the idea and so I lost interest and deleted it. So I ask myself, "Why another blog?"

Recently I have become convinced of the need for followers of Christ to speak the truth, to live the truth, to advocate the truth and to contend for the truth. In Jude 3 God calls His people through Jude, "Dear friends, although I was eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints."

In the days when Jude wrote the Gospel was proclaimed and people were saved. Jude wanted to write about the salvation that they shared but The Holy Spirit moved him in another direction and as he put pen to paper he addresses that falsehood had crept into the body of belief of the Christian faith. So he implores his readers to go to war, fight the fight, and contend for the faith. The term used for contend earnestly was used in those days for the stadium contests. When the author of Scripture used it the meaning was nuanced in several ways. The one I am interested in is, "the thought of the goal which can be reached only with full expenditure of all our energies...the struggle for the kingdom of heaven allows for no indolence, indecision or relaxation." -Stauffer

The intent of this blog is to do just that in the whole of life. You may find posts about politics, religion, culture, society, sports, television, radio...you name it. The point, however, will be to bring to bear upon those things the Truth.

I hope that you may be challenged and that this will not degenerate into some kind of thoughtless ranting. I'm not the sharpest knife in the box but if you want to comment feel free and I'll try and explain things further.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter